NewsLeecher v2.0 Beta 1

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Spiril
Site Admin

NewsLeecher v2.0 Beta 1

Post by Spiril » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:38 am

Now that NewsLeecher v1.0 is out of beta, it must be time for the first version 2.0 betas! :D

So here goes ...

Click here to download NewsLeecher v2.0 beta 1.

Let me know what you think about the new Super Search feature.

Remember, beta releases can only be used by registered users.

-------

About the super search feature:

While the Super Search feature is in beta, it will be free to use. When it gets out of the beta stage it will become a subcription service.

The subscription fee will probably be something like $34.95 a year (~$2.95/month) and include unlimited searches AND free minor and major releases of the NewsLeecher client.

It will, of course, still be possible to purchase NewsLeecher without the Super Search feature for $34.95 with 2 years of free upgrades. It will also be possible for currently registered users to upgrade to a Super Search subscription for free.

Have fun with the new feature! :D

Cheers
Spiril
Last edited by Spiril on Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sgr215

Post by sgr215 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:36 am

Congrats on the final release and the SuperSearch feature is great man! This has become one of my favorite features and i've only been using it for 5 minutes. :lol:

Got a question about it though. Say something gets posted to a newsgroup, how long will it take to show up in the SuperSearch?

Great job man!

N-Word-Jim

Re: NewsLeecher v2.0 Beta 1

Post by N-Word-Jim » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:46 am

Spiril wrote:It will also be possible for currently registered users to upgrade to a Super Search subscription for free.[/i]
So does that mean that users that have already purchased your software (v1, in the beta stages) will be provided the supersearch function for free?

Anyhow, I just opened up newsleecher to see v1 final was out so I upgraded that. I then looked at the news section and saw v2 beta 1 was out. I'm tempted to give it a go, but upgrading to v2 will import all my already downloaded headers, servers, groups, etc right? i.e. I won't lose any information?

stormz

Time Frame of Posts maybe?

Post by stormz » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:34 am

Just curious on this but i pulled some headers down and wanted to test out the super search.

Was looking for Harry Potter as example

These are keywords i used

Harry
Potter
ctp-hp3
harry.potter

It didnt find any posts for these however they do exist for about 12 hours or more.

Not complaining I love this amazing feature, just curious on how it works in more detail.

Thanks for sticking with such a spectacular program as this is.

stormz

My error

Post by stormz » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:01 am

I jumped the gun a bit.

Wow this feature is amazing

After changing the option of search for "Image" "Audio" "Other" it found what i was looking for.

Thanks again

stormz

one final note for the evening

Post by stormz » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:03 am

Just a suggestion if it's not already able to be done and im missing it.

Could u put a selection for Exact in the supersearch feature?

Thanks.

Far

Re: NewsLeecher v2.0 Beta 1

Post by Far » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:27 am

Spiril wrote:Now that NewsLeecher v1.0 is out of beta, it must be time for the first version 2.0 betas! :D

So here goes ...

Click here to download NewsLeecher v2.0 beta 1.

Let me know what you think about the new Super Search feature.

Remember, beta releases can only be used by registered users.

-------

About the super search feature:

While the Super Search feature is in beta, it will be free to use. When it gets out of the beta stage it will become a subcription service.

The subscription fee will probably be something like $34.95 a year (~$2.95/month) and include unlimited searches AND free minor and major releases of the NewsLeecher client.

It will, of course, still be possible to purchase NewsLeecher without the Super Search feature for $34.95 with 2 years of free upgrades. It will also be possible for currently registered users to upgrade to a Super Search subscription for free.

Have fun with the new feature! :D

Cheers
Spiril
What about fixing v1 before starting to sell v2? v1 final still don't work. I still get the message "Unable to authenticate at server: news.wanadoo.nl (400 maya.euronet.nl: Your host connection limit reached)." When usig Grabit with the same server everything is fine. Still no one on the forum has a solution for this problem.

Reefke

Post by Reefke » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:04 am

Dang, this is FAST :lol:

The only thing I miss in the Super Search is an 'Export to NZB' option in the rightclick menu, just like in the normal search :)

psionic

Post by psionic » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:30 am

I have a question about the supersearch feature... it looks like it is just searching the header cache. Why would you charge a subscription to this? I could understand a subscription if it was running searches off of your server or newzbin or another site.

You could pay 10 bucks/month for easynews which has global searching (search _every_ newsgroup without downloading the headers) and get 10 gigs (plus 2gigs/month if you do the survey and 1 gig per 15 "cpu days" on distributed.net). Soon they will be offering $3/3gigs.

In the future will the supersearch search other online databases?

Talen23

Post by Talen23 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:57 am

No Offense, psionic but I suggest doing some research, or some more testing before posting untrue comments. Which especially could turn away people from the Super Search feature. Type in something obscure that you haven't searched before. And you will see binaries you have not downloaded the headers for. So that means you are in-correct. Also paying for newsgroups with Download limits is stupid and I suggest you look into other services that provide unlimited Downloads that are a decent price. Like 15$/month.

I was shocked how fast Super Search feature, no more waiting forever to find XYZ after you downloaded the hundreds of thousands of headers..

stormz

Headercache

Post by stormz » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:12 am

Most definately this feature is not just searching the cache of headers ... its fast and finds much more than the headers u have downloaded. A very vital tool in keeping up with posts thats for sure.

MrCrowley

Post by MrCrowley » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:42 am

Nice!

but

Please make the headers cache searchable!

Phreak

Post by Phreak » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:31 am

This function is great.

The best function made in NL till now. I mean, i used Usenetjunkie all the time, until you had to pay for it. then came other programs who had the same function (new grabit for example)

But, none of them where as good as NL, then i saw the roadmap for upcomming features, and when i saw this, i bought it imediatly. The supersearch is great, and i sure hope this function will stay.

Still got a question though, like someone else posted above, i purchased NL like few weeks ago, so, when this supersearch function stops being free, i got to buy a subscription aswell? or can i update for free?

Great stuff dude, keep it up

-- A great NL fan!

sgr215

Post by sgr215 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:47 am

Got a request for 2.0 Beta 2. Make it so it only shows the popup once about SuperSearch even after reloading. Awesome job though!

Fedorov

Post by Fedorov » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:10 am

Spiril this is fantastic - keep up the good work!!! :lol:

Fedorov.