NewsLeecher v2.0 Beta 1

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:41 am

Eluder wrote:So how do we lucky registered users get this super search subscription for free? :)
well, apparantely registered users can upgrade to the super search subscription for free. but seeing as the super searsch subscription costs $34,95 for 1 year and the regular costs the same for 2 years, does this mean that if and when we upgrade our subscription is reduced to 1 year (if so, is it 1 year starting at the time of registry, of 1 year starting at the time of upgrade?), or do we keep our 2 years?

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:58 am

sgr215 wrote:Congrats on the final release and the SuperSearch feature is great man! This has become one of my favorite features and i've only been using it for 5 minutes. :lol:

Got a question about it though. Say something gets posted to a newsgroup, how long will it take to show up in the SuperSearch?

Great job man!
Glad you like it! :)

48 hours ago it could take up to 2 hours from the articles hit the usenet (giganews to be more precise) to they were indexed by super search. But yesterday I optimized the headerfetch engine so the max delay should be around 20 minutes now.

I'm thinking about optimizing the fetch engine further so the index delay will come down to 5 minutes or less for the most popular groups.

Spiril
Site Admin

Re: one final note for the evening

Post by Spiril » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:00 am

stormz wrote:Just a suggestion if it's not already able to be done and im missing it.

Could u put a selection for Exact in the supersearch feature?

Thanks.
Try to use " characters around the string you want to match. Should should work most of the time.

atomicjew

Post by atomicjew » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:00 am

muks wrote:
atomicjew wrote:Can I use other programs directly with the pay service?
There are other services for this kind of operation.
Does supersearch work exclusively with newsleecher?
What other services provide the same operation as supersearch?
muks wrote:
atomicjew wrote:Can someone post results from searches done on easynews and supersearch for comparison?
Too totally different systems - search service and news provider with monthly cost.
Easynews has a web search of every file posted to usenet, and XPAT of abdvd (expanding to global in october) groups. Totally different? Very similar. 8)
muks wrote:
atomicjew wrote:Some online communities would prefer not to have their posting locations reported, are any posts filtered for any reason?
You cant get location information from listings it seems. Have you actually used this beta? (then again group information probably is there for those servers that require group command).
Not physical location but the name of the group they are posting in. :lol:
No I havent used it yet, maybe by thursday I will (mandatory overtime & work frowns on usenet use).

A fast reliable easy-to-use search of all usenet? Just imagine a file being posted once (in it's proper group) and anyone being able to locate and download it. :D
There is only One AtomicJew™.
Potatoes Fear Me . . .So Should You. ®
© 2011 ComputerPimP™

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:01 am

Reefke wrote:Dang, this is FAST :lol:

The only thing I miss in the Super Search is an 'Export to NZB' option in the rightclick menu, just like in the normal search :)
That'll be there before the 2.0 final release :wink:

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:04 am

muks wrote:Super Search seems great (now it only needs more retention ofcourse.. i hope you can get it upto say 50 days).

That search for Image/Audio/Other also seems nice expect it should list what groups is in what category :)
I'm thinking about bumping the retention up to 30 days to begin with, and then continue to 50 days (to match giganews) if the server can take the load. If there are enough subscribers to the search service, it will be no problem though. Then I'll just buy another server to balance the load.

Phreak

Post by Phreak » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:09 am

The load will probably be your biggest problem, i checked out multiple programs who have a super-search like function. And they all had to either stop, or make it user based.

But, like UNJ, people gonna pay for this service, so it should be doable for you to make it happen, i realy _REALY_ hope this function will stay for ever, as i am very _very_ happy with it.

Dont listen to the whiners :P

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:12 am

atomicjew wrote: How do you determine which groups are valid to search in with multiple service providers?
Currently the search engine goes through all the groups in the 'alt.binaries' hierarchy. But it might be changed to going through all groups on the usenet in the future instead.
atomicjew wrote: Are you filtering out mime/base64?
Nope. All headers for binary articles are indexed. No matter what format they are encoded with.
atomicjew wrote: Can I use other programs directly with the pay service?
Only with NewsLeecher at the moment ...
atomicjew wrote: Some online communities would prefer not to have their posting locations reported, are any posts filtered for any reason?
Nothing is currently being censored... But I'm thinking about setting up a filter for the "newsleecher crack" search string. It seems awfully popular :D

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:13 am

redfive19 wrote:what port does the search run on? I haven't been able to search for anything (comes up with an error message) and I suppose it has something to do with my job blocking that port. any ideas??
-redfive
What error do you get?

Are you able to load the NewsLeecher 'News' page at startup?

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:16 am

Nordkapp wrote:It will also be possible for currently registered users to upgrade to a Super Search subscription for free.

What does this last part mean? Will you integrate Usentjunkie aswell?
When version 2.0 is out of beta it will be possible for currently registered users to convert their 2-years-of-free-upgrades key to a 1-year-subscription to the super search engine for free.

Phreak

Post by Phreak » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:22 am

Spiril wrote:
Nordkapp wrote:It will also be possible for currently registered users to upgrade to a Super Search subscription for free.

What does this last part mean? Will you integrate Usentjunkie aswell?
When version 2.0 is out of beta it will be possible for currently registered users to convert their 2-years-of-free-upgrades key to a 1-year-subscription to the super search engine for free.

w00t, great o// :) Nice stuff spiril :)

Taomyn

Post by Taomyn » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:25 am

Spiril wrote:
redfive19 wrote:what port does the search run on? I haven't been able to search for anything (comes up with an error message) and I suppose it has something to do with my job blocking that port. any ideas??
-redfive
What error do you get?

Are you able to load the NewsLeecher 'News' page at startup?
I have the same problem but I can see the News page okay.

If it's trying to use HTTP, then perhaps there should be a non-SOCKS proxy setting as well?

joeldriver

Post by joeldriver » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:37 am

-redfive
my firewall says port 4242

globox

Super Search is AWESOME

Post by globox » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:41 pm

Yes, very nice !!!!

congrats !
Registered NL user

wickedfeel

Post by wickedfeel » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:46 pm

i recently purchased newsleecher & i'll tell ya what, once this supersearch covers 50 days retention (hopefully from multiple news services, like giganews, easynews and newshosting for example), all usenet groups are indexed, ss allows a search of ALL indexed groups & setting up "custom group profiles" of which groups get searched in the ss index (similar to the image/audio/other selection), and adds a search filter for articles with binary content vs. plain text articles. i won't have a problem paying ANY fair price for the service. :lol: