Side by side Install with 7?

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
crocolord

Side by side Install with 7?

Post by crocolord » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:21 pm

Since this is a major release, I think I'd rather not blow away my existing 7 install to try this. Especially given some of the changes I've gathered have been made based on other posts in here. Can version 8 be installed without interfering with the existing 7 install i.e. do a side-by-side install?
Thanks!

noblemd

Re: Side by side Install with 7?

Post by noblemd » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:20 pm

I do not think this is possible - V8 Beta 1 will install over (replace) V7.

You can install on a second computer to try (see the notes about testing V8 install over V7 then reverting back to V7 below).

As a test I installed V7 Final on a second computer and checked operation, then installed V8B1 overtop and checked ops, then reinstalled V7 Final and everything worked ok on the reinstalled v7 Final.

Cannot guarantee, but reinstalling V7 over V8B1 to go back old version worked fine for me.

Recommend you backup the Newsleecher data folder normally located in C:\Users\*YOUR USERNAME*\AppData\Roaming (Note: you may have to go to Folder Options and select "Show hidden files, folders, or drives" to see this folder.)

To change folder options:

Roaming folder and how to get to folder options:

Just COPY the Appdata\Roaming "Newsleecher" folder to something like "Newleecher.Original" or whatever different name.

Note: NL cannot be running when you copy/rename.

That way if you have a problem when/if you go back to V7, you can delete the "Newsleecher" folder and rename the "Newleecher.Original" folder back to "Newsleecher" Note: Anything you did since the backup will not have occurred - also after the backup make sure the files copied properly - both folder contents should be identical.

By copying the C:\Users\*YOUR USERNAME*\AppData\Roaming\Newsleecher" folder, you are backing up Newsleecher's data files - useful for moving Newsleecher to another computer or to backup NL data - Copying this file to the new computer (Roaming folder) all your previous settings will be used by NL. Note: NL cannot be running when you copy/rename.

Copying to Roaming folder before installing NL and NL will immediately use your original settings (registration info, Groups, Folders and everything else) upon install.

If you have changed the Newsleecher data file location by placing a "newsleecher.ini" file in your NL program folder then copy and backup that folder.

Sample Newsleecher.ini file:

dataFolder=F:\NewsLeecherV4\data\
tempFolder=F:\NewsLeecherV4\temp\

My Newsleecher datafile location (since NL version 4 - Allows easy backup of NL data):

Shalom2010

Post by Shalom2010 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:14 pm

I tried running NL8 in a different directory as 'NL8 Beta' - when it installs it finds the user/appdata/ Newsleecher folder. That's fine as it has all the NL7 settings, however it refuses to connects to the usenet server!

I uninstalled NL8 and returned to my backup version of NL7 appdata (Macrium is your friend :) )

If anyone has a solution to run two versions side by side (which I did in the past) please post it here.
Best Regards

Steven...Chigwell, Essex

BlizzardUK

Post by BlizzardUK » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:57 pm

I have managed it. I had the same issue at first of it not connecting to the servers (I installed 8 to /newsleecher8 directory so I can run 7 & 8 on the same Windows installation, I then made a shortcut of 7 from the original /newsleecher directory). All I did to get 8 working was clicked the "connect" button to de-connect, and then clicked "connect" again to re-connect, and it then worked.

Mibbler

Post by Mibbler » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:23 am

Yes, it works well. I currently have 7.0 Final and 8.0 Beta 1 installed in different directories and I can run either. One at a time, of course; I assume running both at once would cause conflicts. I do use newsleecher.ini to redirect the data and temp files as described by noblemd to simplify access to them (and also to reduce writing to my C: drive, which is an SSD). I put the same .ini file in both program directories.

I haven't encountered the problem accessing servers that others reported. BlizzardUK solved it by toggling the "connect" button. I have it set to be disconnected when NL starts.

I like that both can use the same data because I have to switch to 7 to do certain things that 8 can't do or do well. 8 is really poor at downloading headers for a certain number of days under the Browse Groups tab (7's Articles tab). 7 does better, although both can slow to a crawl or lock up if there are a lot of headers.
Del Mibbler

Shalom2010

Post by Shalom2010 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:21 am

Thanks both I'll give it a try

Worked! Took a few seconds to start downloading but now fine.
Best Regards

Steven...Chigwell, Essex