RC2 -ß9 - Freeze & Hang . . .

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
TheGreatOne

RC2 -ß9 - Freeze & Hang . . .

Post by TheGreatOne »

Spiril,

Had a lot of memory errors popping up with ß8, mostly relating to "cache", similar with ß9, cache folder now totals close to 6GB

Can no longer use NL ß9 as it "freezes" upon startup..

This is very possibly due to the fact that UNS shut down for the week around Thanksgiving, so I added a new GN account (over 300GB down so far from them since 11/28 ); now I think my 28 days back and the large caches that GN can produce has proven too much for NL.

I am at 2GB, and plan no system upgrade till 64-bit Win64 is available, so I can go to 8 or 16GB, since Win32 has a 4GB limit. I am at 2TB now and plan to increase to 6TB of storage soon. (Just think how nice a 4-way SMP 64-bit version of NL would be. . .)

Should I delete the data in the cache folder?

Thanks,

Tim

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Re: RC2 -ß9 - Freeze & Hang . . .

Post by dwazegek »

TheGreatOne wrote:Spiril,

Had a lot of memory errors popping up with ß8, mostly relating to "cache", similar with ß9, cache folder now totals close to 6GB

Can no longer use NL ß9 as it "freezes" upon startup..

This is very possibly due to the fact that UNS shut down for the week around Thanksgiving, so I added a new GN account (over 300GB down so far from them since 11/28 ); now I think my 28 days back and the large caches that GN can produce has proven too much for NL.

I am at 2GB, and plan no system upgrade till 64-bit Win64 is available, so I can go to 8 or 16GB, since Win32 has a 4GB limit. I am at 2TB now and plan to increase to 6TB of storage soon. (Just think how nice a 4-way SMP 64-bit version of NL would be. . .)

Should I delete the data in the cache folder?

Thanks,

Tim
i'd try deleting the cache if i were you, but you might want to backup the data dir first
also to prevent future cache issues, maybe setting newsleecher to do more frequent cache cleanups, or decrease the cache might be an idea.
Forum's Grammar Nazi:
I will hunt you down if you don't lose the extra o.

TheGreatOne

Re: RC2 -ß9 - Freeze & Hang . . .

Post by TheGreatOne »

Then what good is 30+ day retention with providers such as GN, EN or UNS if no binary grabbing program (such as NL) can handle the large cache and number of headers associated with many large group?

I think NL is a “good program”, and has “great potential” provided Spiril keeps at the program and stays focused. “Super Search” is a great idea, but I am sure that Spiril’s efforts on this application (both the extensive server side, which we do not see, and the client side integration into NL) have detracted Spiril from developing NL 2.0 into a really “great program”, the last three NL betas have been very “buggy”, with many cache, and header issues, and few in Dutch that I could not translate. Moreover, in ß9 I have seen “sloppy” Windows programming, with “pop up” errors boxes that “suck” out system resources, and require a “hard crash” of the entire system, not just “killing” NL via the “task manager”. This is “very bad”, as is ß9 of NL.

Also, I have sent 100’s of the “bug reports” to Spiril on the last two betas, a private message or two, and have heard nothing from Spiril. In fact he seems to be “missing” on these forums for the last few days.

Tim

TheGreatOne

Post by TheGreatOne »

Just "re-installed" 1.0 over ß9 (RC2 NL 2.0) and everything working again, so it proves that ß9 is very bad!

Spiril, please fix in new beta ASAP!!

Thanks,

Tim

Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

I agree, the SuperSearch function seems to be taking priority over other parts of v2 and more important things like optimization are being left behind.

I find it annoying how NL grinds to a halt everytime an article is finished, and also (as is happening while I write this) when downloading large 15mb+ articles using 15 server threads NL becomes completely unresponsive and I'm left to use task manager to lower its priority so the rest of my system can continue to work.

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek »

Taomyn wrote:I agree, the SuperSearch function seems to be taking priority over other parts of v2 and more important things like optimization are being left behind.

I find it annoying how NL grinds to a halt everytime an article is finished, and also (as is happening while I write this) when downloading large 15mb+ articles using 15 server threads NL becomes completely unresponsive and I'm left to use task manager to lower its priority so the rest of my system can continue to work.
super search is nearing its final release, so it's likely the focus will shift back to the program again

ooc, does the number of threads really affect newsleecher's behaviour? i used to run with 11 connections (now 4), but newsleecher never got in the way of anything. the interface does freeze when saving files (which really should be fixed), but it doesn't freeze any other programs
Forum's Grammar Nazi:
I will hunt you down if you don't lose the extra o.

TheGreatOne

Post by TheGreatOne »

dwazegek wrote:
Taomyn wrote:I agree, the SuperSearch function seems to be taking priority over other parts of v2 and more important things like optimization are being left behind.

super search is nearing its final release, so it's likely the focus will shift back to the program again

ooc, does the number of threads really affect newsleecher's behaviour? i used to run with 11 connections (now 4), but newsleecher never got in the way of anything. the interface does freeze when saving files (which really should be fixed), but it doesn't freeze any other programs

The "freeze" with the WRITE COMMIT is BS, so yes I have 10 "bots" open, but also when updating the cache as it is doing a WRITE COMMIT.

This "HIGH PRIORITY" over SS is also BS, as NL must be given the highest priority.

I think Spiril has an issue with wanting to see a "fast buck", and NL was not doing that, so over to SS where profits on a subscription basis are very possible. The problem with that is many of us paid for NL (not leeched it), and were assured that development would continue at a reasonable rate with the goal being a 3.0 version where it would be a full featured product.

Also besides the cache issues with ß9, I found the error that was freezing my NL ß9; it was the “NZB Auto Import”, chocking on bad XML code, with NL having no way to “expire” and bypass the offending file, but just to “freeze” NL. Not good programming, not good error checking.

Spiril, had to take the entire month of August off, without ensuring that a “support mechanism” was in place for NL. Also, he seems to be “missing” from the forums again for the last week.

I suspect, as there has never been a BIO (or even a country location for that matter) on Spiril, but strongly suspect he is some Dutch college student in his mid 20’s.

Tim

djr

Post by djr »

TheGreatOne wrote:I suspect, as there has never been a BIO (or even a country location for that matter) on Spiril, but strongly suspect he is some Dutch college student in his mid 20’s.
Guess again .. (and do your homework yourself)

http://whois.net/whois.cgi2?d=newsleecher.com

Soeski

RC2 B9

Post by Soeski »

Strange indeed, all of the above mentioned problems here and in other topics. NL runs perfectly fine, for days and days now. No rebooting, max mem usage is about 160MB, CPU usage is 5% when minimized and 20-40% when maximized. Delay while writing is there, but that only takes a few seconds.
My queue has 20.000 files (almost 1 TB) with 2x4 connections.
And seriously; no hangups, no errors with cache or whatever...just fine! :)

3p1ph4ny

Re: RC2 B9

Post by 3p1ph4ny »

Soeski wrote:Strange indeed, all of the above mentioned problems here and in other topics. NL runs perfectly fine, for days and days now. No rebooting, max mem usage is about 160MB, CPU usage is 5% when minimized and 20-40% when maximized. Delay while writing is there, but that only takes a few seconds.
My queue has 20.000 files (almost 1 TB) with 2x4 connections.
And seriously; no hangups, no errors with cache or whatever...just fine! :)
I'm with you on this one. Although I don't have 1 TB in my queue (I've only got 500 GB of disk space and a 3 megabit connection :() I do have about 3,500 articles in the queue. I regularly update groups with 4,000,000 headers without problems. I'm very impressed with NL :)