NewsLeecher V8.0 Beta 3

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
dfuk

NewsLeecher V8.0 Beta 3

Post by dfuk » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:29 pm

The new folder settings system is very dumb there isn't a way of setting to download to a group subfolder, afeature i've used since before V1.
Please restore this functionallity.

sw13836763

Re: NewsLeecher V8.0 Beta 3

Post by sw13836763 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:32 pm

Am having the same problem. Don't understand how to setup the new process?

turtleneck

Post by turtleneck » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:43 pm

Please bring back ability to download into group subfolders. The new feature should have been *added* not replace the old foldering mechanism. The new process does not work for me at all!!!

noblemd

Re: NewsLeecher V8.0 Beta 3 - Download Folders MISSING

Post by noblemd » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:00 pm

Where are all of my old Folder Download entries???? - Went to "Folders" AND... NOTHING!!!!!

I agree with previous post - FILE MATCHING SHOULD BE AN ADDITION NOT A REPLACEMENT!!!

Now have to have an entry for every file with different names that I download??????????????

How do I:

Tell the new Downloads Folders dialog to download files from:

alt.binaries.e-books
alt.binaries.ebooks
alt.binaries.ebook
and etc.

to the folder:

\\TM5\T5.Ebooks\<Date>

User UN-FRIENDLY to the extreme.

I certainly hope my previous Folder entries have not been erased from existence!!!

Fortunately, I have backups of my old NewsLeecher Data/Temp/Cache folder, so I can recover the old entries - I wonder if other users will be able to do the same???
Last edited by noblemd on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Windows 10 v.1909
Ryzen 3950 (16 Cores 32 Threads - OC 4.5 GHz)
DeepCool Captain 240 RGB V2, AIO Liquid CPU Cooler (Max Temp 80°C 100% load)
NL download drive: M2 2280 500 GB NVME SSD (1.2 GB/s r/w)
Synology NAS #1: 32 TB RAID 5 (5 x 8 TB Drives)
Synology NAS #2: 18 TB RAID 5 (4 x 6 TB Drives)
500 Mb/s Internet Connection (NL Avg D/L speed 55 MB/s)

Laraman

Post by Laraman » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:37 pm

I agree with the above comments I need downloads going in to their respective groups or else everything is a mess. Is there another way of doing it now?

gilgoroth

Post by gilgoroth » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:20 pm

The new download feature as implemented seems entirely half-baked, and inappropriate for introduction without notice/discussion this late in the game. Moreover, it only seems to work sporadically which makes for even more of a mess.

As others have mentioned, it would have made far more sense to introduce the new functionality on top of the existing system. Perhaps from a development standpoint, the old system made less sense or was difficult to maintain. From a usability standpoint though, the new system is very user-unfriendly and unworkable for managing downloads on a group-by group basis, unless there is some undocumented trick we are all missing.

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:26 pm

gilgoroth wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:20 pm
Moreover, it only seems to work sporadically
You are more than welcome to share specific info on this, if possible. That will make it easier to fix eventual related bugs.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

pixelmonk

Post by pixelmonk » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:00 pm

I have an unpack error with B3. "Could not create dest. folder". I'm assuming it's because of the \<PAR2 Name>\ which used to work in B2. I even removed that from the Unpack Folder: dialog and just left it blank. It still doesn't unpack.

My only fix was to right click on all of the sets and do a Change Destination and have then unpack at the root of the download folder.

gilgoroth

Post by gilgoroth » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:22 pm

Spiril wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:26 pm

You are more than welcome to share specific info on this, if possible. That will make it easier to fix eventual related bugs.
I've gone back to B2 for now and no longer have the logs from yesterday. If I have time next week I'll install a copy of B3 alongside to try to repeat it.

darkrift

Post by darkrift » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:50 am

Agreeing with the aforementioned comments, deprecating the download/unpack folders - subfolder - <GROUP> and <PAR2 Name> functionality in v8b3 was a poor decision and renders newleecher a marginally useable tool.

Please restore the functionality or post a script that allows graceful rollback to the v8b2.

Mibbler

Post by Mibbler » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:09 am

darkrift wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:50 am
Agreeing with the aforementioned comments, deprecating the download/unpack folders - subfolder - <GROUP> and <PAR2 Name> functionality in v8b3 was a poor decision and renders newleecher a marginally useable tool.

Please restore the functionality or post a script that allows graceful rollback to the v8b2.
noblemd posted his method for having more than one version of NewsLeecher installed. I use a slightly different method. When installing a new version, I rename the installation directory to include the version number rather than using the default name. I currently have 7.0 Final, 8.0b2 and 8.0b3 installed in separate directories and run whichever one I choose. As noblemd noted, only one at a time.

All versions can use the same Data and Temp directories and do so by default. I prefer to move those to a different drive using a newsleecher.ini file as documented here. I put a copy of the .ini file in each program directory.
Del Mibbler