8.0 Beta 4: Temporarily paused while writing downloaded data to storage device

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Samurai

Re: 8.0 Beta 4: Temporarily paused while writing downloaded data to storage device

Post by Samurai »

This has caused me no end of issues in the last 18 months - no matter what version of NewsLeecher I've used.

Today, I decided once and for all to try and track down why it does this and I'm still none the wiser. Even if I disable my AV, it's still the same. I don't have any MS AV or firewall enabled anyway, but did double check the settings in case I made a mistake when setting this machine up.

I then decided to test using another reader - sabnzbd, and I have to say it works flawlessly. No slowdowns whatsoever. The problem is, I don't like it's GUI, nor how the files are saved. I'd much prefer to stick with NewsLeecher if I can... but these problems need to be addressed because I can't keep downloading files and having them pause every 5 seconds. I'm paying for decent broadband speeds, and a decent news server that can supply those speeds. I'm being let down by the news reader. See below for images.

First... NesLeecher. Completely inconsistent.

Now look at SabNZBd:

Devs - When or is this going to be fixed?

As much as I love using NL - I only have so much patience left in me.

Antonin

Re: 8.0 Beta 4: Temporarily paused while writing downloaded data to storage device

Post by Antonin »

I will be shocked if you get a meaningful response from the developers. Actions speak louder than words, and it has now been more than a year since the last beta was released. Why don't the developers simply announce end of support so we can all make decisions and move on?

I agree with you regarding the sabnzbd gui.

LeJeune

Post by LeJeune »

As stated by many users before, the software isn't updated and it is getting more and more bugs and issues. No development takes place, no response on every bug reported. Time to stop with this very buggy software. I've had it with NL.

jester123

Post by jester123 »

I agree, i have been using newsleecher for several years but it is getting too much pain.

Any suggestions to alternatives, i use rrs feeds and sabnzb but i miss the power of supersearch.

jester123

Post by jester123 »

I agree, i have been using newsleecher for several years but it is getting too much pain.

Any suggestions to alternatives, i use rss feeds and sabnzb but i miss the power of supersearch.

Antonin

Post by Antonin »

The search function on Easynews is great, and it actually works.

AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

I have a lifetime subscription to NewsBIN and 6.82 works well as a download tool and will find may different articles compared to NewsLeecher, but you guys have to remember this version of NewsLeecher is in beta and TBH I suspect its really an Alpha, and most of us long term users know NL Betas are always fraught with issues and bug so if the bugs are that much of a problem just use NL 8 Beta as a search tool and export what you want to download as an NZB then download with NL 7 or whatever tool you prefer, its your choice.

there will be a new beta when Spiril is good and ready, in the meantime why not get and invite or two to an NZB site.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UsenetInvites/

Antonin

Post by Antonin »

I have been using Newsbin Pro, and so far, I find it faster and more reliable.

jester123

Post by jester123 »

I am aware that using a beta often results in errors, but i expect that there are some movement and some updates in a certain frequency.

I cant remember when the last increment of NL Beta was released but it is long ago. Also it seems to be that the beta worked better recently, the errors and problems i have are more or less coming with new windows updates. The list of problems are :

Slow disk access, it paused very often because of disk wait activity, often it do not recover from this and just hangs there forever, i tried to accommodate for this by installing a ssd but it did not helt.
My superleech downloads are often flagges as spam and stops downloading, i have turned off spam detection but it do not help.
corrupted downloads are often not recovered by par2 even though quickpar are able to rebuild the files correctly.
1-several times a day the program stops and needs to be restarted.

I have suspended my subscription and moved to easynews, i will be following on newsleecher to see what happens it have been my prefered choice since the beginning several years back.

AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

like I said before I don't get anywhere near the critical errors with V7 that I get with V8, so just find the stuff with the beta and export it to an nzb then download with another newsreader.

as for the errors I have experienced most of the ones you speak of, not the pausing though, however some can be fixed, some have workarounds and some you learn to avoid.

I think you have the right idea, if you are dissatisfied with the product stop paying for it.

xtc091157

Post by xtc091157 »

Folks, I created the exclusion for the NL-download folder in the Windows Virus and Protection settings and I'm moving along at a blistering speed. Prior to that it was hurry up and wait, hurry up and wait. That's all you gotta do.

Samurai

Post by Samurai »

xtc091157 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:12 pm
Folks, I created the exclusion for the NL-download folder in the Windows Virus and Protection settings and I'm moving along at a blistering speed. Prior to that it was hurry up and wait, hurry up and wait. That's all you gotta do.
Sadly, I just went to do just that - and it seems I already did it months ago. No effect.

AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

for anyone who wants to see what files are being called by applications on a windows box try Process Monitor By Mark Russinovich part of the SysInternals Suite
Process Monitor is an advanced monitoring tool for Windows that shows real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity. It combines the features of two legacy Sysinternals utilities, Filemon and Regmon, and adds an extensive list of enhancements including rich and non-destructive filtering, comprehensive event properties such as session IDs and user names, reliable process information, full thread stacks with integrated symbol support for each operation, simultaneous logging to a file, and much more. Its uniquely powerful features will make Process Monitor a core utility in your system troubleshooting and malware hunting toolkit.
WSCC - Windows System Control Center
WSCC allows you to install, update, execute and organize the utilities from various system utility suites. WSCC can install and update the supported utilities automatically. Alternatively, WSCC can use the http protocol to download and run the programs. The portable edition doesn't require installation and can be run directly from a USB drive.

WSCC supports the following major utility suites:

Sysinternals Suite
NirSoft Utilities