8.0 Beta 4: some problems

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
robena

8.0 Beta 4: some problems

Post by robena »

Hi,

I just tested 8.0 Beta 4.

Compared to 7 you can not:

1) Use WindowBlinds. Using a custom frame is always a bad idea. It may give an original look, but leads to plenty of problems. Better to respect the Win32 API standards. If you use WindowBlinds, you don't see the tabs ("Manager", etc) which are in the frame instead of being in the Windows like with V7. Why put tabs in the frame? It's not made for that.

2) Use MultiPar, which is much more efficient. MultiPar somehow locks something in "!! newsleecher temporary !!". That did not happen with V7. V8 tries to get a full lock, and fails while V7 was more tolerant.

3) It's fast, yeepee! V7 has become too slow in this day and age.

Problem 2) is really annoying, it's been there since the very first beta. Of course, you're going to say it's MultiPar fault, and MulitiPar is going to say it's NewsLeecher fault. Final judge: it worked with V7, so V8 is doing something it does not need to do.
Robert

AmigaMan

Re: 8.0 Beta 4: some problems

Post by AmigaMan »

robena wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:59 pm

2) Use MultiPar, which is much more efficient. MultiPar somehow locks something in "!! newsleecher temporary !!". That did not happen with V7. V8 tries to get a full lock, and fails while V7 was more tolerant.

Problem 2) is really annoying, it's been there since the very first beta. Of course, you're going to say it's MultiPar fault, and MulitiPar is going to say it's NewsLeecher fault. Final judge: it worked with V7, so V8 is doing something it does not need to do.
I emailed Yutaka Sawada (MultiPar author) about this problem, here is his reply
Hello, AmigaMan.

I read the web-forum.
There should be an access violation problem.
Newsleecher 8 cannot open a file with WRITE mode,
while MultiPar opens the file with READ & SHARE_READ mode.
I seams that Newsleecher 7 didn't show the error.
How is the access mode in Newsleecher 8 ?

Because I made MultiPar on Windows 7,
the behaviour may be different from Windows 10.
In MultiPar (par2j.exe), most reading is done by SHARE_READ mode,
such like;
CreateFile(file_path, GENERIC_READ, FILE_SHARE_READ, NULL, OPEN_
EXISTING, 0, NULL);

So, it's normal that Newsleecher 8 fail to open the file for writing.
(MultiPar allows subsequent read only. subsequent write isn't allowed.)
I don't know, why Newsleecher 7 has not failed.
From a developer (programer) 's point of view,
it's possible to solve this problem with ease.

One solution is that, Newsleecher 8 locks files until download finish.
If these temporary files are locked by Newsleecher at first,
(such like, GENERIC_WRITE mode and don't set FILE_SHARE_READ.)
MultiPar cannot open (read) them.
After download finish, Newsleecher release a file one by one.
Then, MultiPar verifies the downloaded file next.

For example, Newsleecher starts downloading 3 files.
It creates 3 temporary files and keeps opening them.
MultiPar cannot access them, because they are locked by Newsleecher.
When the first file download is done, Newsleecher closes (release)
the file.
MultiPar can read (verify) the first released file now.
When the second file download is done, Newsleecher closes (release)
the file.
MultiPar will read (verify) the second released file next.
When the third file download is done, Newsleecher closes (release)
the file.
MultiPar will read (verify) the third released file next.

Keep lock (open) all temporary files at first.
Release (close) a finished file one by one.
Then, MultiPar will verify free file only.

Best regards,
Yutaka Sawada

robena

Post by robena »

That was fast, thanks a lot to you both.
I hope it will lead to a solution.
Robert

robena

Post by robena »

Maybe an option for Multipar not to check subdirectories contents in auto-repair mode?
Robert

AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

robena wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:43 am
That was fast, thanks a lot to you both.
I hope it will lead to a solution.
I reported this problem over a year ago here

unfortunately I fear you original conclusion is correct and neither will take responsibility for the bug or fix it, but we live in hope... or is that denial! lol
robena wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:45 am
Maybe an option for Multipar not to check subdirectories contents in auto-repair mode?
this already exists in Options > Client Behavior > "Dont search subfolders" but this option made no difference when I tried it.

robena

Post by robena »

this already exists in Options > Client Behavior > "Dont search subfolders" but this option made no difference when I tried it.
That's for creating a PAR set. I was hoping for the same for repairing it.
Robert

robena

Post by robena »

I made a workaround, creating a program that is associated to par2 files instead of MultiPar and that:

1) Creates a mirror subdirectory
2) copies the par2 file in the mirror directory
3) forks in 2 threads
4) thread 1 calls multipar over the par2 file
5) thread 2 enters an infinite loop and makes hard links (so that no space is wasted) between the downloaded files to repair, and the the same in the mirror subdirectory. It waits 20s before rescanning for new files to link, and exits when MultiPart itself is done and exits.

I would post a copy, but it's written in an interpreted language that is not free, so it would be useless for people not having a license. It's a program I wrote and sell, but I don't want to spam this forum with my products, so don't ask. Besides, what I wrote uses parts that are not for sale and the program itself is expensive!

The same could be written in C++, but that would take much more time to write.
Robert

AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

for me I'd either wait for the download to finish then run multipar or if the archive was big > 20GB I'd export to nzb and download with v7 which can have multipar running in conjunction.

I use the <Group> command in the folder destination and if I find a TV series I want I will download each episode using download (smart) this automaticity puts them in separate folders, as long as NL has finished working in that folder its safe to run multipar on that archive and still allow NL to continue downloading uninterrupted.

robena

Post by robena »

My solution is effortless: now that I made and associated my program to par2 files, all I have to do is double click on a PAR2 file, and it works as it worked with V7.
V7 is too slow, it does not go over 200 Mbs. I have at the moment 400Mbs, and when I move in January, I will have a 10Gbs connection!
That said, now that I have a solution, I noticed that V8 is not really usable. It pauses often waiting for the "data to be written" on disk, which makes no sense since I use a NVME SSD which is 2400 Mbs fast.
Going back to NZBGET. It's less graphic, but works perfectly.

I also asked in the Multipar forum:

https://github.com/Yutaka-Sawada/MultiPar/issues/15

I posted about this problem more than 4 years ago with the first V8 version, and it's been completely ignored. My guess is that NL author thinks that everybody should use HIS PAR2 integrated solution, and does not care about others. Or just does not care...
Robert

robena

Post by robena »

Yutaka Sawada was kind enough to gave me access to a test version that disable folder recursive search for verifying, and, so far, it seems to works with NL 8.
Please don't ask for a link, it will be up to him to decide to keep the change and make it public.
I just would like to point out that on one side, you have a free product and the author gives me a solution in a few hours a Sunday, and on the other hand you have a commercial software, and the author completely ignores a bug (it is a bug since NL 7 did not have this problem) for more than 4 years.
Robert

AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

the mod is on his GitHub HERE

For anyone else having this issue just read the thread "Does not work with NewsLeecher 8" and follow the link to his OneDrive

I'm not sure what benefit having 'search recursive directories' would be in a verify scenario, the idea of posting a directory structure instead of archiving then posting seem alien to me.

Thanks to Yutaka Sawada and robena for such a quick resolution :D

EDITED: I can confirm this 'sample_mod' works with NL8b4 running on widows 8.1 x64 Pro with all updates
Last edited by AmigaMan on Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robena

Post by robena »

AmigaMan wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:37 pm
Thanks to Yutaka Sawada and robena for such a quick resolution :D
Just 4 years, and one day after Yutaka was involved. :)
Robert

AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

robena wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:45 pm
Just 4 years, and one day after Yutaka was involved. :)
seems like a reasonable amount of time... lol :lol:

robena

Post by robena »

Anyways, NL8 beta is far for usable.

Forget using it on a regular hard drive with a fast connection, it's pausing so often that speeds drops to almost zero. Better stick to NL 7.

As mentioned before, I can have this problem with a very fast NVME SSD drive, so NL 8 way to write on disk needs to be revamped.

That never happens with NZBget, so I'll use NL 8 rarely when I need a more visual display then NZBget provides.

But mostly, NL 8 beta after 4 years is a very bad software that barely works with an NVME SSD drive.

Edit: I tested NZBget on the PC using a regular HHD, not an SSD, and I reached 737 Mbs speed, when NL 8 is near 0 because it's pausing constantly.
Robert

Tuinpad

Post by Tuinpad »

Must be something else whats bottleneck your system.
NL Beta4 downloads between 680-710 Mbps ( Max. DL)with no pausing whats so ever.
And with the latest Multipar 1.3.1.4 im happy the way this is. Works great for me.