Crash, Crash, Crash

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
davebray

Crash, Crash, Crash

Post by davebray »

Although Newsleecher 7 was lacking some features, especially with obfuscation, it did not crash anywhere near as much as 8.0 does. I am constantly having to terminate the Newsleecher task because the unpacker queue is frozen and I constantly get exception after exception when downloading. Also, when I initially click to go online it will never connect to my news server. I have to go offline and then click online again and it will connect.

Does anybody know how to resolve all of the crashes? Does anybody know when there will be an updated release. At this point I am thinking of abandoning ship and going to another or back to version 7. It appears that since they started offering news subscriptions they are no longer interested in maintaining or fixing the Newsleecher product. Almost a year with no update. That is crazy for a beta.

Antonin

Re: Crash, Crash, Crash

Post by Antonin »

The problems you are reporting with the beta are unfortunately not new, and have been documented here before. As far as an updated release? As you note, it has been just a few days less than an entire year since the most recent V8 beta was made available. I highly doubt that there will be an update. You are correct that all actions / inactions point to no further interest in NL by the Product team. I long ago uninstalled V8. V7 is the best that we'll ever see.

davebray

Post by davebray »

It would be nice if there is no interest in continuing development of Newleecher if they would make it open source and let developers like myself fix some of the bugs. V7 worked great but it was horrible with the obfuscation. All downloaded files had the obfuscated names.

AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

davebray wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:23 pm
...if they would make it open source and let developers like myself fix some of the bugs.
you know Newleecher is written in Borland Delphi 2014 XE7 - S.10 ?, there a quite a few threads here about it being written in Delphi but not many people know this language

Antonin

Post by Antonin »

It was never updated beyond XE7? I remember running a Delphi team a long time ago. It is not as commonly used as Java, Dotnet, etc but it is still maintained.

Lack of resources could definitely be why development has stalled.

AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

for NL 8 Beta XE7, I think so, at least that's what UniExtract2 reports.

buzzword147

Post by buzzword147 »

AmigaMan wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:16 pm
davebray wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:23 pm
...if they would make it open source and let developers like myself fix some of the bugs.
you know Newleecher is written in Borland Delphi 2014 XE7 - S.10 ?, there a quite a few threads here about it being written in Delphi but not many people know this language
Delphi is based on Pascal, and it's not difficult to learn if you know any other computer language.