v2.3b1 - Network limiter not working

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Destroyer

Post by Destroyer » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:36 pm

Im using giganews with 3 connections, the speed limit averages out quite accuratley but if i turn the speedlimitng to none after it has been on, it fully shuts off my downloading

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:07 pm

Me1432 wrote:Im using giganews with 3 connections, the speed limit averages out quite accuratley but if i turn the speedlimitng to none after it has been on, it fully shuts off my downloading
Hmm, I'm unable to reproduce that. Does it happen everytime you set the throttle to "no limit" ?
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:53 pm

If when I connect the throttle is at no limit, it works fine, though if I drag it back upto no limit, then it completly stops any downloading. If i drag it back down to 80% it starts working again. Sometimes its fine when I drag it to no limit but other times not.

No worries

Gary

Post by Gary » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:58 pm

Spiril,

I can also duplicate that problem with no speed after going from throttled to non throttled. It happens only during a download, but seems to require a server reset to bring it back.

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:59 pm

Hmm, I just noticed if you leave it for a while it comes back to life. Try giving it 2 minutes after you have pushed it back to no limiting

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:02 am

Ok, a couple comments on the speed limiter thingy.

1. I didn't know about the slider either until I got home tonight and went looking for it. I also tend to leave the Bandwidth Meter area hidden.

The slider should be more prominent and labeled better. Also, maybe either include a note on the options tab where the max bandwidth setting is currently about where the slider is located or add another second slider to the same options tab where the max bandwidth setting is now.

2. Like others have pointed out, the bandwidth seems pretty erratic. I don't think introducing wait timeslices into the download as long as you currently have them set is the solution. Either the loop needs to run faster so the wait timeslices happen more often or other solutions need to be investigated ;) Watching the progress bars stutter was kind of painful in my opinion.

techfuzz[/list]

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:29 am

techfuzz wrote:Ok, a couple comments on the speed limiter thingy.

1. I didn't know about the slider either until I got home tonight and went looking for it. I also tend to leave the Bandwidth Meter area hidden.
Same here.
techfuzz wrote:The slider should be more prominent and labeled better. Also, maybe either include a note on the options tab where the max bandwidth setting is currently about where the slider is located or add another second slider to the same options tab where the max bandwidth setting is now.
That would work.
What would make it even more prominent for me would be a keyboard shortcut for the Bandwidth Meter. See This Thread.

--
Lips

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:46 am

Spiril wrote:Could you post a screenshot showing the graph where you have limited the download speed to 50% ? On my test machines, using a 10mbps connection, the graph runs smoothly at 50% when bandwidth is limited to that
Here is a screen capture when the speed limiter is set to 50%. NL trying to make a connection (at full speed) but it never can make a connection. No files are ever downloaded and the connection just times out and the connection is reset. (First half of graph)

I then turned the speed limiter to None and the transfers run normally at full speed. (Second half of graph).

So for now, the speed limiter is NOT working at all, at least for me.
Last edited by Smudge on Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeus163

Post by zeus163 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:40 am

I like the bandwidth limiter, but I've also run into the problem where it stops downloading when changing settings. I finally exited the program and then restarted it. Also, I have it set for 3000 kbps right now yet my max states 0.

I would like to see more presets though. I could figure it out, but having 6mbs and 4 mbs as presets would be great. I find it funny that the presets jump from 2 to 10!

I also vote for adding a shut off timer to the program, but that doens't belong in this thread. I do like the new limiter and think it's a great idea.

mudone11

Post by mudone11 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:42 pm

Lips wrote:
techfuzz wrote:The slider should be more prominent and labeled better. Also, maybe either include a note on the options tab where the max bandwidth setting is currently about where the slider is located or add another second slider to the same options tab where the max bandwidth setting is now.
Ye I agree it should be accessible with the bandwidthmeter graph turned of.
Cheers Mudone
Be yourself, there are enough other people!

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:55 pm

Smudge wrote:
Spiril wrote:Could you post a screenshot showing the graph where you have limited the download speed to 50% ? On my test machines, using a 10mbps connection, the graph runs smoothly at 50% when bandwidth is limited to that
Here is a screen capture when the speed limiter is set to 50%. NL trying to make a connection (at full speed) but it never can make a connection. No files are ever downloaded and the connection just times out and the connection is reset. (First half of graph)

I then turned the speed limiter to None and the transfers run normally at full speed. (Second half of graph).

So for now, the speed limiter is working at all, at least for me.
Hmm, odd.
The graph in nl looks like this for me:

This is at 50%.

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:08 pm

As discussed in this thread, the bandwidth limiter and graph doesn't work properly when set to kilobits. I changed my setting to kilobytes and now the graph works like it should but the speed limiter still isn't working. I set the limiter down to 10% and it downloaded at average speeds.

(this is at work so the flucuations are normal. When after hours it is full speed and graph hits the top)

mudone11

Post by mudone11 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:34 am

Smudge wrote:As discussed in this thread, the bandwidth limiter and graph doesn't work properly when set to kilobits. I changed my setting to kilobytes and now the graph works like it should but the speed limiter still isn't working. I set the limiter down to 10% and it downloaded at average speeds.

(this is at work so the flucuations are normal. When after hours it is full speed and graph hits the top)
True when set to kilobits only reconnecting give a spike (full spead) in the graph. When set to kilobytes it only takes one of two bits.

Cheers Mudone
Be yourself, there are enough other people!

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciated.

The speed limiter will work much better in v2.3 beta 2. In both KB/s and in KBit/s modes ;)
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

Gary

Post by Gary » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:47 pm

Spiril,

Like many others, I never kept the bandwidth meter displayed. If possible, I would prefer to see the speed control in the lowest part of the screen, next to where the "max" "cur" and graph is displayed.

Also, when going from throttled to non throttled, it does indeed stop downloading until the server resets.