2.3 Beta 2

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Destroyer

2.3 Beta 2

Post by Destroyer » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:23 pm

Just downloaded it and the speed limiting is excellent !

No problems at all, the limiting is extremly precise

Nice one Spiril :D

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:38 pm

Limiting is much smoother than before (screenshots coming up in a few minutes).
I did have a slight problem after installing beta 2 though. When I first moved the slider down an error popped up an said that bandwidth limiting is not available when the mamximum download speed is set to automatic. According to the options menu it wasn't set to automatic, but the graph did act like it was. I had to switch from "user specified" to "from list" and back for it to get set properly.

edit:
the graph in the task manager (still jumps a bit, but looks fat better than 2.3b1):

the graph in newsleecher (it's just a boring straight line ;)):

Nemon

Post by Nemon » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:42 am

Still not working right

http://nemon.terrorfaction.com/images/SNAG-0002.jpg

Also i could be mistaken but even with "no limit" set i beleive there is more "turbulance" in the download. I recall checking the download chart in windows before while downloading using a pre 2.1 version and seeing a much flatter graph than what im seeing now.

Edit: Also 32% CPU usage on a A64 4000 is ridiculous for an app that is seriosly IO bound like newsleecher. Is this CPU usage really necessary? I mean is newsleecher doing some seriosly complex operations that require all that? I just find it hard to beleive that it couldnt be done a much more efficient way.

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Post by techfuzz » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:08 am

Nemon wrote:Edit: Also 32% CPU usage on a A64 4000 is ridiculous for an app that is seriosly IO bound like newsleecher. Is this CPU usage really necessary? I mean is newsleecher doing some seriosly complex operations that require all that? I just find it hard to beleive that it couldnt be done a much more efficient way.
It shouldn't be using that much. According to the release notes for 2.3b2:
The algorithm used by the "bandwidth limiter" feature has been improved a lot. The new algorithm is by far more precise than the one in beta 1, yet it uses much less CPU resources as it is a simpler implementation.
Do you have antivirus or firewall enabled that you could disable and test it again?

techfuzz

Nemon

Post by Nemon » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:19 am

I have antivirus but thats not it, confirmed with my repeat check just now.

I have a router but i dont see how that would affect this if the sockets arnt being read when > data/sec limits.

I am running XP x64 edition but i dont think that is likly the cause either.

I susspect the bug is in the implementation of the throttling. I'm guessing that the throttling is working at a higher level than the sockets. Perhaps some nntp object or an internal newsleecher queue?

Gary

Post by Gary » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:49 am

Limiting seems VERY smooth and precise here with 4 connections running. That's also with 3 of the 4 connections being on different servers, so seems to be working very well so far.

Watching the speed realtime via DU meter, it jumps around a bit there, but no more than it did when I tried netlimiter. Looks like Spiril made some major improvements.

Enzomatrx

Post by Enzomatrx » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:07 am

I just wanna add the unicode fix is great, as now I can go back to setting my default Os language to Japanese and run all my normal programs along with newsleecher.

Bandwidth limiting is something I don't require really, but still... great work!

TifKag

Post by TifKag » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:09 pm

Sorry to report that download speeds are VERY jumpy (between 50 - 500 KB) when using the limiter, and watched in DU meter.
The bandwith display in NL is silky smooth.

Nemon

Post by Nemon » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:04 pm

Gary wrote:Limiting seems VERY smooth and precise here with 4 connections running. That's also with 3 of the 4 connections being on different servers, so seems to be working very well so far.

Watching the speed realtime via DU meter, it jumps around a bit there, but no more than it did when I tried netlimiter. Looks like Spiril made some major improvements.
Try the built in one, it tends to be more accurate. Netlimiter will results in an almost perfectly flat line.

Signalrunner

Post by Signalrunner » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:51 pm

The speed limiter is working perfectly here. Great feature. :D

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:55 pm

Nemon wrote:
Gary wrote:Limiting seems VERY smooth and precise here with 4 connections running. That's also with 3 of the 4 connections being on different servers, so seems to be working very well so far.

Try the built in one, it tends to be more accurate. Netlimiter will results in an almost perfectly flat line.
You mean the bandwidht monitor that's built in, in netlimiter? It could be hype, maybe DU meter returns a more accurate graph. Netlimiter's monitor could be 'averaged' :?:

It's just a hypothesis, I'm not saying it's true.
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

TifKag

Post by TifKag » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:54 pm

Maybe a little offtopic

But.......Nemon how did you changr the color of that progressbar (mine is blue)???????

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:22 pm

Nemon wrote:Still not working right
Hi Nemon. Do you have NewsBin installed? If you have, could you try to load it up and see if you get better results (more consistent graph) by using the bandwidth limiter feature in that?
Nemon wrote:Also 32% CPU usage on a A64 4000 is ridiculous for an app that is seriosly IO bound like newsleecher. Is this CPU usage really necessary? I mean is newsleecher doing some seriosly complex operations that require all that? I just find it hard to beleive that it couldnt be done a much more efficient way.
Do you also see around 30 pct CPU usage when NL is minimized? NewsLeecher uses much less CPU resources when minimized.

The bandwidth limiter feature shouldn't put much stress on the system, but I might be able to optimize it a bit more for the next release.
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:22 pm

Start, control panel, display ( in appearance and themes ), appearance tab. Then you can choose blue, green or silver. If you want more themes you will need to install a themepack or a program such as style xp

TifKag

Post by TifKag » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:01 pm

Me1432 wrote:Start, control panel, display ( in appearance and themes ), appearance tab. Then you can choose blue, green or silver. If you want more themes you will need to install a themepack or a program such as style xp
Thanks, got it :D