Speed issue after using NL 2.3 b1 and b2

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
stryx

Speed issue after using NL 2.3 b1 and b2

Post by stryx »

Hi,

I recently installed NL 2.3b1 and found out the network limiter was causing me some serious problems so I went back to 2.1 final, with the b2 version it just got worse:

After about 30 seconds of NL use my bandwith goes from 470 kbps to about 40 kbps and the only way to reset it is to disable and enable the network controller (and NOT use NL)
it looks something like this:

(at first the connection is limited, then I reset the connection and it was OK for about 30 seconds, and then the problems strated again.)

I went back to version 2.1final and the problem remains :(

If I use anything but NL my connection remains OK, so I have two questions:

1. How can I workaround to get to use NL 2.1 without the issues caused by 2.3b2?
2. What is causing these problems?

Oh and I'm also very curious whether anyone else has this kind of problem.

Regards,

Frank

techfuzz
Forum Moderator

Re: Speed issue after using NL 2.3 b1 and b2

Post by techfuzz »

stryx wrote:Hi,

I recently installed NL 2.3b1 and found out the network limiter was causing me some serious problems so I went back to 2.1 final, with the b2 version it just got worse:

After about 30 seconds of NL use my bandwith goes from 470 kbps to about 40 kbps and the only way to reset it is to disable and enable the network controller (and NOT use NL)
it looks something like this:

(at first the connection is limited, then I reset the connection and it was OK for about 30 seconds, and then the problems strated again.)

I went back to version 2.1final and the problem remains :(

If I use anything but NL my connection remains OK, so I have two questions:

1. How can I workaround to get to use NL 2.1 without the issues caused by 2.3b2?
2. What is causing these problems?

Oh and I'm also very curious whether anyone else has this kind of problem.

Regards,

Frank
If the problem remains after installing 2.1 and restarting your computer then the issue isn't with NL, it is with your usenet provider or internet connection.

techfuzz

Smudge
Site Admin

Post by Smudge »

I switch between the 2.1 Final and the latest beta all the time without problems. The speed limiter is nice but causes high CPU so I don't use the 2.3 beta all the time. When I switch back to the 2.1 Final, it downloads normally at full speeds and the CPU is normal around 10% or less.

stryx

Post by stryx »

Thanks for your replies,

My speed seems to be back to normal now, with NL 2.1final.
Any chance that the b1 and b2 versions do something (new) that causes either my ISP or Usenetserver to temporarily cap my speed ?!

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek »

stryx wrote:Any chance that the b1 and b2 versions do something (new) that causes either my ISP or Usenetserver to temporarily cap my speed ?!
No, the limiting is strictly client side, so it shouldn't affect your server in any way.

Also, if the speed limiter in 2.3b1 was too cpu intensive for you, you might want to try 2.3b2, the code has been optimized quite a bit (limiting speed only adds ~1% to the cpu usage for me)

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

dwazegek wrote:
stryx wrote:Any chance that the b1 and b2 versions do something (new) that causes either my ISP or Usenetserver to temporarily cap my speed ?!
No, the limiting is strictly client side, so it shouldn't affect your server in any way.

Also, if the speed limiter in 2.3b1 was too cpu intensive for you, you might want to try 2.3b2, the code has been optimized quite a bit (limiting speed only adds ~1% to the cpu usage for me)
It could be completely accidental, but the other day I let NL download at 25% for most of the day, because I was posting at the same time, and I didn't want my upload to suffer from my download. Anyway when I turned NL up fullspeed again, my post had finished, it didn't go beyond 380 kB/s or something, normally this should be almost 600 kB/s. When I checked my modem setup, I noticed I had only a speed of 3770 kb/s. I rebooted my modem and it gave me my usual 6016 kb/s.

Could it be my ISP 'thought' the quality of the line couldn't support 6Mb anymore, and 'capped' me to 3.8 Mb?
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer »

Even if a line cannot support a speed, capping cannot fix the problem as it is what the line is physically connected at, so I cant see an ISP doing that.

Also if you was connected to a slow server for downloading, newsgroup or ftp etc you would be downloading at what the server can upload at so the ISP would not be able to tell whether your line could not support the speed or you was just connected to a slow server. In the UK most servers dont send much faster than 1.5mbps

Though the newsgroup provider could decide to put you on a slow server I suppose.

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

Me1432 wrote:Even if a line cannot support a speed, capping cannot fix the problem as it is what the line is physically connected at, so I cant see an ISP doing that.

Also if you was connected to a slow server for downloading, newsgroup or ftp etc you would be downloading at what the server can upload at so the ISP would not be able to tell whether your line could not support the speed or you was just connected to a slow server. In the UK most servers dont send much faster than 1.5mbps

Though the newsgroup provider could decide to put you on a slow server I suppose.
That was not the case the speed of my modem had changed, I wasn't switched to a slow server or something, if that had been the case the speed of my modem would have stayed the same. Maybe there was some maintenance done on the network by my ISP or something. I did not check for that because a reboot solved my little problem.
Grtz RD

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer »

No I dident mean your ISP's server I meant that if you connected to a slow news server, then your ISP wouldent be able to tell if you was downloading off a slow server or your line couldent support the high speed, must have been a conicidence that you synched at a different speed.

AFAIK the speed your modem is connected at cannot change untill a next disconnection

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

Me1432 wrote:No I dident mean your ISP's server I meant that if you connected to a slow news server, then your ISP wouldent be able to tell if you was downloading off a slow server or your line couldent support the high speed, must have been a conicidence that you synched at a different speed.

AFAIK the speed your modem is connected at cannot change untill a next disconnection
I didn't mean my ISP newsserver either, and AFA the speed of my connection is concerned, this has changed for me before without turning off my modem or computer, like I said it had/has probably something to do with maintanance of the ADSL-network.
Grtz RD

oliber

Post by oliber »

I experiance similar issues if i leave NL open for a while idle, then try to start downloading again.

Exact symptoms:
Start newsleecher
Download approx 4-5gb of data with limit set around 50% of total speed
Leave NL to disconnect after downloading data, idle for approx 12hrs (idle disconnect is set to 5mins)
Import a NZB, approx 250mb of data
2 connections of 4 are opened to the news server, and total speed of approx 10% of maximum, even though speed limiter is set to unlimited
Try pausing queue/disconnect, then unpause and reconnect, the same issue remains.
Close NL and restart
All 4 connections open correctly, and throughput is as expected (120mb done so far)

NL version is 2.3b2, i guess this is a teething problem with the speed limiting issue, so nodoubt it'll be resolved in the next few releases.

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer »

Though if its newsserver based or isp based then spiral doesent have any control of it :)

Sometimes downloades do not pick up if you have been downloading slow for ages...

dwazegek
Forum Moderator

Post by dwazegek »

Me1432 wrote:Sometimes downloades do not pick up if you have been downloading slow for ages...
True, but in this case shouldn't it be different? I've noticed a few times during ftp sessions that the download speed of a (large) file won't go up if it'd been downloading at a lower speed before. However on usenet the files are always split into smaller articles, which are downloaded independently, so then the speed should go up, shouldn't it?

Anyway (just ooc), you mentioned before that the NSP might put a low-speed user on a slower server, does this actually happen, or were you just speculating?

stryx

Problem "solved"

Post by stryx »

Well,

Everything seems to be working in good order now, looks like Usenetserver had a failure on one of their storage tanks right when I started testing it....

Sorry 'bout all the trouble.

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer »

dwazegek wrote:Anyway (just ooc), you mentioned before that the NSP might put a low-speed user on a slower server, does this actually happen, or were you just speculating?
Sorry I should have rephrased it :), What I meant was if you have been downloading for a long time then you could get locked to a certain speed untill you reconnect to the server, probably a load balancing feature. But no I dont think they would ever put you on a slow server just because you arnt downloading as fast as they can send.

I have noticed that if if I connect and I download at a slow speed i have to reconnect otherwise it will stay at a slow speed untill i next reconnect.