Download speed throttling isn't working correctly.

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
mudone11

Download speed throttling isn't working correctly.

Post by mudone11 » Sat May 07, 2005 7:02 pm

v2.3 beta
winxpsp2
registered,
new install.

The max download speed is set to 18 kilobytes/s but it downloads with 40 kb/s.

I would like to post an image but I haven't got a page to post it to. Has anyone got suggestions?

Cheers Mudone.
Be yourself, there are enough other people!

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf » Sat May 07, 2005 7:55 pm

I would place them in my webspace, but a popular alternative is http://www.imageshack.us/ :wink:

As for the limiter not working.... can't help you there I'm afraid.
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

Destroyer

Re: Download speed throttling isn't working correctly.

Post by Destroyer » Sat May 07, 2005 7:55 pm

mudone11 wrote:v2.3 beta
winxpsp2
registered,
new install.

I would like to post an image but I haven't got a page to post it to. Has anyone got suggestions?

Cheers Mudone.
Or you could create a geocities account, 25 meg of space there

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips » Sat May 07, 2005 8:14 pm

winxpsp2
registered,
new install.

mudone11 -

What speed do you get when you disable the limiter? Just want to make sure that it does change and that your speed isn't being limited elsewhere.

--
Lips

mudone11

Post by mudone11 » Sun May 08, 2005 11:10 am

Lips wrote:
winxpsp2
registered,
new install.

mudone11 -

What speed do you get when you disable the limiter? Just want to make sure that it does change and that your speed isn't being limited elsewhere.

--
Lips
That doesn't really matter, does it? Since I've set download speed to a lower speed than I'm currently downloading.

Cheers Mudone.

mudone11

Post by mudone11 » Sun May 08, 2005 11:13 am

Mhh, strange no probs anymore.
I remember that somebody else was downloading at the same time on a different computer in the network.

Although it seems highly unlikely I'll check out if it has got something to do with it.

Cheers Mudone. :)

Lips
Forum Moderator

Post by Lips » Sun May 08, 2005 4:56 pm

mudone11 wrote:
Lips wrote:
mudone11 wrote:The max download speed is set to 18 kilobytes/s but it downloads with 40 kb/s.
mudone11 -

That doesn't really matter, does it? Since I've set download speed to a lower speed than I'm currently downloading.
It does matter. The purpose is just to check the speed without the limiter to ensure that at that specific time there is not a problem with your dl speed that you were unaware of. IOW, the speed you were getting might have been correct due to a bandwidth problem at that time.

--
Lips

t3rror

Post by t3rror » Mon May 09, 2005 1:55 pm

Bandwidth limiter not working here also. I have it set to 12.5kbps and it continues to download at the same speed it would if I had the bandwidth limiter disabled 40-50kbps. Fresh install of 2.3 beta 3 registered user on Winxp SP2 2.4ghz P4 and 1024 MB RAM.

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf » Tue May 10, 2005 4:30 pm

t3rror wrote:Bandwidth limiter not working here also. I have it set to 12.5kbps and it continues to download at the same speed it would if I had the bandwidth limiter disabled 40-50kbps. Fresh install of 2.3 beta 3 registered user on Winxp SP2 2.4ghz P4 and 1024 MB RAM.
When you say you have set the bandwidth limiter set to 12.5 kbps, do you mean the maximum speed, or have you set the maximum speed to lets say 40 kbps, and have you limited it to 12.5 kbps? If you did it the first way and left the limiter to no-limit, I think it would still be downloading at your full speed.

I am grasping at straws here.
Grtz RD

Gary

Post by Gary » Tue May 10, 2005 5:54 pm

Spiril,

Since the beta 3 version, throttling no longer works very well here, stopping and starting all the time, requiring constant resets to work. Where the graph used to be pretty even, now it's peaks and valleys.

Hope you can get a new beta out soon that fixes this, as it only works well when not throttled now.

Thanks,

Gary

Spiril
Site Admin

Post by Spiril » Wed May 11, 2005 1:04 am

BW throttling works without probs here, but it might be because I'm connected via a very fast internet connection. Don't know, but might have something to do with that.

Those of you who have probs with the throttler in v2.3 beta 3:

What is the speed of your internet connection?

Does bandwidth throttle work perfectly in other programs, such as NetLimiter, GetRight, etc... ?
bug fixed. no idea how. hate it when that happens. trying to break it again now. will. not. be. defeated.

Gary

Post by Gary » Wed May 11, 2005 1:26 am

1 megabit DSL here. The limiting feature on Netlimiter trial seemed to work well always here. Beta 2 limiting was fine for me, the problems only started with beta 3.

roasticle

Speed throttling set to automatic slows down over time

Post by roasticle » Wed May 18, 2005 11:47 pm

I just noticed a bug with the speed throttling set to automatic, what's its doing is setting the maximum speed to whatever the lowest speed of the current download is going, so eventually i noticed a download slowed all the way down to 72kbps...pretty sad :(
My workaround for it was to set the speed to manual and setting my max download speed to 1000kb/s. The max I get through my cable is around 600kb/s so that'll do me until it's fixed :P
"1+1=2" Albert Enstein

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Re: Speed throttling set to automatic slows down over time

Post by Red Dwarf » Thu May 19, 2005 2:36 am

roasticle wrote:I just noticed a bug with the speed throttling set to automatic, what's its doing is setting the maximum speed to whatever the lowest speed of the current download is going, so eventually i noticed a download slowed all the way down to 72kbps...pretty sad :(
My workaround for it was to set the speed to manual and setting my max download speed to 1000kb/s. The max I get through my cable is around 600kb/s so that'll do me until it's fixed :P
When you set it to automatic there is no speed throttling as far as I know. And the graph will behave like it did before speed-throttling was implemented.
Grtz RD

roasticle

Sorry problem is actually under connection-maximum speed

Post by roasticle » Thu May 19, 2005 5:46 am

Sorry problem is actually under connection-maximum speed
I have problems when it's set to automatic, the max download speed keeps dropping...same thing i described before
"1+1=2" Albert Enstein