3.5b3 GUI change complaints

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
LaRock

3.5b3 GUI change complaints

Post by LaRock »

Wow! The changes from b2 to b3 are a little far out there. Maybe I'm missing something in options for some of these. Here are my complaints.

1. What happened to auto activate on select ? Now you have to click the group, update and then activate. Whereas before, you could just highlight the group, which auto activated it and then you just had to update.
2. What happened to the group selection drop down you could turn on?
3. No way to move the filter/adv filter/options boxes on Articles/Queue/Super Serach tabs. They are all the way to the far right of the screen. While this probably isn't a problem on say 17" or 19" screen, it's a PITA on a 24" widescreen. It was better when the Filter box was right next to the other boxes on the bar.
4. Quick SuperSearch is a nice additiion, but again it's way to the far right of the screen. At this rate my mouse is going to have more miles on it than a Pizza Hut Delivery Boy's car. :D
5. Subscribe to Groups? Show Full Group List seemed like a better description of what you wanted to do besides Subscribe to Groups
6. Moved Super Search to Last tab instead of tab before News/Logs.

Keep up the good work.

champ

Re: 3.5b3 GUI change complaints

Post by champ »

LaRock wrote:2. What happened to the group selection drop down you could turn on?
Also, what happened to the checkboxes next to the groups? I could live with all the other negatives, but this removed feature alone is worth downgrading over.
LaRock wrote:3. No way to move the filter/adv filter/options boxes on Articles/Queue/Super Serach tabs. They are all the way to the far right of the screen. While this probably isn't a problem on say 17" or 19" screen, it's a PITA on a 24" widescreen. It was better when the Filter box was right next to the other boxes on the bar.
Agreed. They should be next to one another. It's more comfortable that way. At least design them as draggable toolbars so the user can choose his own positioning.
LaRock wrote:4. Quick SuperSearch is a nice additiion, but again it's way to the far right of the screen. At this rate my mouse is going to have more miles on it than a Pizza Hut Delivery Boy's car. :D
Agreed. Its positioning is inconvenient.
LaRock wrote:6. Moved Super Search to Last tab instead of tab before News/Logs.
Agreed. The most used tabs should have precedence. It also wouldn't hurt to allow users to reposition the tabs where they'd like. I also liked the old tab design better.

I also dislike the filters buttons instead of checkboxes. Now it's not intuitive. When a button is depressed I have to spend more than a second figuring out what it means. Does depressed mean show it? Does it mean not show it? Checkboxes were more clear: checked = on, unchecked = off. A button's depressed state typically means it should be active/on but you're implementation is the opposite of how most software I've used deals with toggle buttons.

One thing I like about this new version is the 'article count check button.' I'll be downgrading now.

zeus163

Post by zeus163 »

I'm glad I'm not the only one displeased with the new beta. Overall, when a new beta has been released, I've been pretty pleased with the changes, but the changes between 3.5 beta 2 and beta 3 seem a bit extreme.

Please bring back the check boxes. I've already downgraded to 3.5 beta 2. I wonder why those went away? I loved being able to select the group on/off.

The quick supersearch button needs to be movable or have the option to turn it off. I admit that there could be that option, but I downgraded fairly quickly. In all honesty, I was so disappointed with the new version I didn't give it a chance.

I also would prefer the filter check boxes too. Maybe there could be an option between check boxes and depressable buttons.

I love Newsleecher and I know this is a beta version, but it almost feels like a step backwards. I know I'm not the creator of this excellent software and don't believe that Spiril has to do everything I want, but I just had to complain a little bit.

I'm also still wanting/waiting for the day when I can set-up a schedule to have Newsleecher run during certain hours and different times of the day.

josemuk

Post by josemuk »

I know Spiril has done a lot of work with the new graphical interface but, I really hate it...

jlarmstr

Post by jlarmstr »

josemuk wrote:I know Spiril has done a lot of work with the new graphical interface but, I really hate it...
I second this, though not really hate....that is a strong word. It would be nice to retain an option to opt for the older interface MF newer interface.

The auto-updating feature really is kinda crappy now.

LaRock

Post by LaRock »

I too prefer the checkboxes to the on/off style push buttons.

I never cared either way about the check boxes next to the group name since I had it set to auto-activate on select set but I can see why a lot of ppl miss these check boxes next to the groups.

street_spirit

Post by street_spirit »

where is the "music" tab on super search? :?:

champ

Post by champ »

street_spirit wrote:where is the "music" tab on super search? :?:
It was removed:
viewtopic.php?t=8680

LaRock

Post by LaRock »

The General Button now includes the music. I did various tests and it seemed to find music correctly. I'm kinda glad they combined Music and General to one search.

zeus163

Post by zeus163 »

I'd rather have the three buttons for supersearch or at least an option for choosing which buttons are shown.

I have installed the new beta on my laptop and messed around with it a bit more. I have figured out how to turn off the quick supersearch, but I do miss the check mark boxes for updating the groups. I don't do auto-updating so I think the new way is really poor.

My main box will keep beta 2 for now. I just want the check mark boxes back for updating the newsgroups. Oh well.

Scuttle

Post by Scuttle »

Biggest complaint with b3 so far is the drop-down menu, why the heck did that get removed?

Second, the Filters on the Article tab, what was wrong with the checkboxes? :P
The button's don't even really make any sense... If I click the Binaries-button, all the binaries are not shown...eh? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Moving the Update-button from the main toolbar to the Articles-window... There's even a context-menu on the main toolbar where you can select which buttons to show. Please add the Update-button to this list...

News and Log on the same tab? nothankyou, if I want news, I go to the website...

Maybe this is why engineers shouldn't design GUIs :D

H-Barre

Post by H-Barre »

As some told before me :
I love this soft, that's why i bought it !
and until now, I'va been very happy each time a new release came out.
But this time, I'm really disappointed.
I'm a software developer, so I understand all the Work that has been made, but, hell !
What happened to the update all feature that was easily activated without having to select some group first ? I use this feature each time I make an update, I can use this soft without, that's the first reason to downgrade.
Moreover, why is there no more drop down menu on the gourps in the Articles pannel ?
and no drop down menu on the tabs also ?
And visualy, it mayb e nice on a 1024 screen, but on a 1200, it's awfull and non effective :everything seem to be in a small group a corner or another.

So for the first time with this progy ( and it is very uncommon for me anytime), I will have to downgrade.

Very disapointed, hope there will be some backstep in the next release... wouldn't like to stay on the b2 wich has a bug that is very boring with the feature I especialy care ; the update all wich sometimes doesn't mark as old before...

H-Barre

Fedorov

Post by Fedorov »

Hmmm, I'm sticking with b2 I think, I wish features wouldn't get removed like this, let's get bugs fixed, get it super stable, then discuss things like this and also gradually add new features....

Kegger_CDN

Post by Kegger_CDN »

I guess I am the only one that likes the new changes, very intuitive to use.

And finally a way to add groups which is up front and clear.

So far I think B3 is far easier and more intuitive to use than B2.

User suggestions have been listened to an incorporated and I will stick with B3 and beyond.

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

I have no problems with beta 3, although I must admit I would have preferred to keep general and audio seperated (OK, this is primarily a change in Super Search, not in Newsleecher) Furthermore I dislike the filter-box being put on the far right, my mouse is doing overtime. :wink:
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.