What the hell is this crap?

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
Reefke

What the hell is this crap?

Post by Reefke »

This pops up EVERY SECOND, slowing down my connection a lot.
Please stop adding new 'features', because all you do is add more bugs to an already buggy program.
Last edited by Reefke on Wed May 10, 2006 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reefke

Post by Reefke »

I just found an option to switch it off, but NL keeps pausing my connection every damn second.

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

It is not a new feature in beta 9. Try defragmenting your harddrive maybe that'll solve your problem.
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.

doppler

it's the multitasking

Post by doppler »

If you run a heavy CPU task, other than NL the multitasking part
of the decoder. Will pause downloading, until the decode queue empties
a bit. The queue looks to be 2 files, the decodeing file plus one more.
If a third file shows up, all downloading will pause.

Try a defrag, could help. Do less CPU heavy tasks. Don't try to
unpack a tightly packed file at the same time NL downloading.
Don't par correct files either!

Anything requiring a disk read or write, will also cause slowness.
Adding lot's of ram to the system does help. Get off of 512MB
and loadup 1.5GB.

One time I thought I could, get away with par correcting 2 multi-part
file groups and continuing NL. Bad idea, very bad idea.

Speed of the processor, is only a small factor. This is only not true,
if you have a very fast cable/lan connection.

Reefke

Post by Reefke »

Never had this problem with previous versions. Been using 3.5 beta 2 for quite some time without problems, so I switched back to this one and now I can download at full speed again without those pauses.

I tried the latest beta because beta 2 uses quite a lot of CPU when downloading at full speed (20 Mbit cable). But it seems like beta 9 uses even more CPU (maybe because it's constantly pausing/restarting?).

doppler

Please post your system config

Post by doppler »

Reefke wrote:Never had this problem with previous versions. Been using 3.5 beta 2 for quite some time without problems, so I switched back to this one and now I can download at full speed again without those pauses.

I tried the latest beta because beta 2 uses quite a lot of CPU when downloading at full speed (20 Mbit cable). But it seems like beta 9 uses even more CPU (maybe because it's constantly pausing/restarting?).
You may have more going on then NL. Please post your config

OS? Memory? CPU and Speed?. What task bar programs are active?

atomicjew

Post by atomicjew »

I notice a slight pause from disk-write-lag if I have the downloads folder open. But, I have no problem running quickpar or winrar while downloading. I do not recommend all three at once though.
There is only One AtomicJew™.
Potatoes Fear Me . . .So Should You. ®
© 2011 ComputerPimP™

mudone11

Post by mudone11 »

Just to explain why Spiril has implemented this (I think):
If you download faster than your computer can decode (because you're using your processor or hdd for other intensive processes) the amount of undecoded (but downloaded) files would rice. This would mean that the amount of ram used (this is where these undecoded-files are stored) would keep going up. Therefore the download speed is lowered (or paused) if nl. is downloading faster than it is decoding files.

Cheers Mudone
ps. correct me if I'm wrong
Be yourself, there are enough other people!

i2k

Post by i2k »

I guess more RAM would certainly help, I've never seen this with 2gb or even back when I had 1 gb, this is usually with data coming in around 1400kb/sec
cheers

Reefke

Post by Reefke »

If it was my config, then why is it that I don't have any troubles with beta 2?
Anyway, here's my config:

AMD XP 2400+
1GB RAM

With beta 2 I can download at 2400 KB/s without any interruptions, while using beta 9 it keeps pausing/restarting, resulting in less than half speed.

I know it uses a lot of CPU when downloading at full speed, but I don't care about that. At least it's stable.

There should be some way to disable this constantly pausing.

i2k

Post by i2k »

Could be your CPU, seems a little on the slow side?

geezer

Post by geezer »

I think that a second hard drive configuration might resolve some of the sluggishness issues I have read about here. I am running both 3.5 Beta 7 and Beta 10 on an AMD 2600+ with 1GB of RAM. I can and do run numerous disk read/write tasks while downloading both headers and files in both versions of NL. I do not get pauses, slowdowns, or interrupts.

It is not unusual for me to be downloading with NL, verifying and/or repairing large posts with quickpar, running winrar (sometimes two incidents of it) in the background, and using an office application or browsing the internet at the same time. I have also burnt cd's in this scenario. I think two things allow me to have this ability; 1) I have a second hard drive that all NL downloads go to and 2) I keep my hard drives scrupulously defragged. Give it a try...

Geezer

droopyleech

Post by droopyleech »

Reefke wrote:I just found an option to switch it off, but NL keeps pausing my connection every damn second.
So how do you switch it off?

Reefke

Post by Reefke »

You can only swith off the message, but not the pausing :evil:

Can we PLEASE have an option to also switch of the continous connection pausing? I once again reverted from 3.5 final to beta 2 because with this beta I can keep downloading at full speed.
So don't tell me my PC is too slow... it's nothing more than another buggy feature of NL.

This problem only seems to occur at high speed (20 Mbit, about 2.4 MB/sec).

I'm with Giganews because they're about the only usenet provider that can deliver such speeds, so I don't want my speed to be capped by some poorly written software.

Red Dwarf
Forum Moderator

Post by Red Dwarf »

Reefke wrote:This problem only seems to occur at high speed (20 Mbit, about 2.4 MB/sec).
Relatively high speeds you mean. :wink: :wink: I've read messages in the past of people using it at much higher speeds.

Is that a true 20 Mbit connection by the way? I have a 20 Mb(ADSL2+) connection myself but I only get about 19000 kbps speed from my provider, because of the distance to my telephone-exchange (is that the right word in english?). Taking overhead in account, my speed downloading from usenet varies from 1.90 to 2.02 MBytes/s, using GigaNews. The speed you want (2.4MB/s), would need a 24Mb/s connection, I think.

Oh yeah, I do not experience this pausing.
Grtz RD

If I had a really good tagline, I would put it here.