What the hell is this crap?

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
thany

Post by thany »

i2k wrote:Could be your CPU, seems a little on the slow side?
Careful with a statement like that. 2400+ is not particularly slow, and should be able to cope almost any application. If the CPU is too slow in this case, it means the application is too slow.
Running Newsleecher 7.0 on Windows 10 x64, because 4.0 stopped working

grimlock72

Post by grimlock72 »

Reefke wrote: Can we PLEASE have an option to also switch of the continous connection pausing?
You seem to think the threads are pausing just to annoy you :) The download processing thread for whatever reason can just not keep up with the incoming data. Not pausing the thread wont fix that, eventually the pipeline will be full and all will stop.
Reefke wrote: So don't tell me my PC is too slow... it's nothing more than another buggy feature of NL.
Since it does work for other posters, your pc IS actually to slow for that specific version of NewsLeecher. The question remains where to fix the problem though.

Reefke wrote: This problem only seems to occur at high speed (20 Mbit, about 2.4 MB/sec).

I'm with Giganews because they're about the only usenet provider that can deliver such speeds, so I don't want my speed to be capped by some poorly written software.
Indeed, would be very sad if you're unable to download non-stop at 2.4Mb/sec... sheesh. What you could try is start NL, start task manager and manually set the priority of NL to high. Not sure that will help since the yyDecode code was rewritten to take less CPU (which could hinder processing at higher speeds).

You could also try to limit your download-speed to say 1.5Mb/sec (I know, horrible low) and see if that prevents that stop/start problems which do slow down everything.

doppler

a guarenteed pause will happen, if you do this

Post by doppler »

find a 100mb single article (multiparted) get the artical followed
by 20 small files. say 10K each.

The computer will definately pause the smaller files. At about the 3rd
or 4th file.

True multithreading, multiprocessor and mutliprocess programing
has limits. It's a balancing act between performance and logistics.

UNLESS YOU HAVE PROGRAMMED, in an assembly or multiprocess'es
language. You have no right to critique newsleecher. I HAVE!!!

Spril, is doing a very good job with newsleecher. Given the lame-ass
O/S call windows. The background process slots could be expanded
out, that may push back the number of times a pause might happen.

If you want to see just how bad, continuing and not pausing can get
try out "GRABIT". On an average it's 5-10 minutes after everything
is downloaded before. You can actually exit the program. The downloads
are being processed, just that far behind. One worst case it took an
1/2 hour for it to finish. It for that reason plus a ton of others I came
to NL!!!

grimlock72

Re: a guarenteed pause will happen, if you do this

Post by grimlock72 »

doppler wrote: UNLESS YOU HAVE PROGRAMMED, in an assembly or multiprocess'es
language. You have no right to critique newsleecher. I HAVE!!!
I agree that calling NL a bad program just because it can't keep up with absurd high download speeds is a overdoing it. I do programming for a living and indeed thread-stuff can be hard to get right.

However, as customers we judge a program we buy and use by what it does and how well it does it. So to say that non-programmers can't judge a program is too much. One may know how difficult it is to program such a thing, but that doesn't mean one can't determine if the program works well enough for daily use. (that would be like knowing how to build a car to be able to say a Volvo drives horrible ;-)

Besides, I want proper killfiles before threading is redone to possibly support higher speeds :)

dlr_graph

Post by dlr_graph »

I dissagree with the speed issue. I normally download at speeds between 2.5 - 3.5 MB/s and have experienced the "pop-up" but no always. I just finished a download at about 3.5 MB/s and did not see the message.

ericnmu

Post by ericnmu »

I'm getting this all the time in the new 3.7 Final. I never got this before 3.7.

Even if the popup doesnt show up, it flashes real fast and slows my downloading speed. My banwidth history graph use to be a pretty straight line around 6MBps, now its a rollercoaster around 3-5MBps.
The status column used to be a fluid bar moving accross the parts, but now its chunky.

Dabo

Post by Dabo »

Omg, why are people doing so stupid here, if u have problems with a specific version and don't have those problems with a earlier version then just switch back, no big deal.

thany

Post by thany »

Dabo wrote:Omg, why are people doing so stupid here, if u have problems with a specific version and don't have those problems with a earlier version then just switch back, no big deal.
Do you really think Spiril fixes bugs in earlier versions, when they surface? IOW, you'd get zero support, pretty much.
Running Newsleecher 7.0 on Windows 10 x64, because 4.0 stopped working

manthe

Post by manthe »

[quote="thany"]
Do you really think Spiril fixes bugs in earlier versions, when they surface? [/quote]

No...*new* bugs are introduced in successive versions

tolyngee

Post by tolyngee »

Dabo wrote:Omg, why are people doing so stupid here, if u have problems with a specific version and don't have those problems with a earlier version then just switch back, no big deal.
I'm not sure if NL is this way, but many prgs cannot just downgrade to previous versions and have all of the config and data files be compatible.

My group cache folder is 12.6GB in size. It would suck if all of that data was lost...

Besides, as already said, unfortuneately with how NL has been going, version 3.0 will have bug A, 3.5 will have bugs A & B, but then 3.7 will have bugs A, B & C...

While 3.5 should not have A and 3.7 should not have B, it is pretty much unacceptable for 3.7 to have A.

I am hoping 3.8 turns the corner here though...

(FWIW - I have found that fortunately all bugs in NL have a manual work around... whew...)