Newsleecher Replacement?

Forum to report beta release bugs and discuss the latest beta releases with other users.
• If reporting a beta release bug, be sure read the bug reporting guidelines first.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT : Be sure to read the NewsLeecher forums policy before posting.
GeorgeMendes

Newsleecher Replacement?

Post by GeorgeMendes » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:28 am

I have a SABnzbd and Sickbeard setup that has been running great for a couple of years now and would not trade it for anything. I am going to give NZBget and Sonarr a go as I have heard good things.

That said I cannot completely give up my old Usenet habits for whatever reasons. Some groups are not indexed some are not indexed often on binsearch. I like to go into groups and read text threads. I like to open up previews. You could do this with Newsexpress,Xnews,and Newsleecher. With Newsleecher you can right click on files and have them open up in there respective programs without having to save it to a folder first. It would just go into a temp folder. I like to save all headers. Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire
I just re-installed my os and forgot to copy my 9~gigs of headers over. Newleecher was very fast at loading old headers and you could just type in the search bar to filter through years worth of headers. For some reason sometimes SAbnzbd won't work with some downloads. It also slows to a crawl sometimes and I can put the NZB in Newsleecher and download at full throttle.

I have grown to dislike Newsleecher because of its new(ish) licensing scheme. The fact it calls home to verify your license every single time you launch it. Sometimes this would take minutes or longer or not at all. I know there is a post on their site that says I can upgrade the old way because I joined them a long time ago. But I cannot tell for certain if the license will expire after 1 year or if I can continue to use it for several years before upgrading or even if it will be aloud.

I tried several programs a few years ago. Cannot remember which ones exactly. Right now I have Newsbin Pro installed and really want to like it but it is just not as easy on my eyes as Newsleecher is and I cannot find a way to open up previews or text threads. Does anyone know of a program that does what Newsleecher can do? I have spent the better part of 2 days trying to find something and am at a loss. Sorry for the long post but this is a serious first world problem for me.
Last edited by GeorgeMendes on Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shalom2010

Re: Newsleecher Replacement?

Post by Shalom2010 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:27 am

I cannot answer your question I'm afraid, but also now using Newsbin Pro. The main reason is that the serach results for NL are now only 2,200 days compared to 3,800 days with Newsbin Pro. The interface, I agree, is not as nice, but you can filter the results by typing into the main search window, so, it's very usable.

Just trying to understand why NL8 is taking so long and if the serach results will extend to 3.800+ days like Newsbin Pro.
Best Regards

Steven...Chigwell, Essex

wboevink

Post by wboevink » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:55 pm

I also switched to Newsbin Pro.

Antonin

Post by Antonin » Wed May 01, 2019 2:22 am

Same here. Even if a "beta" of NL8 were to come out tomorrow, Scuba and crew have lost every ounce of credibility that they may have ever had. As a customer, I'm not inclined to take any more risks.