Searching headers without redownloading?

Post your questions here if you need help to use NewsLeecher or if you have a question about a feature.

Joez

Searching headers without redownloading?

Post by Joez »

I was using NewsBin before where you could download the headers once and search them multiple times, or update only new headers. Is there a way I can do this with NewsLeecher?

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer »

Yes you should be able to do that with newsleecher. In options have you set your headers to expire too soon ?

Lips
Forum Moderator

Re: Searching headers without redownloading?

Post by Lips »

Joez wrote:I was using NewsBin before where you could download the headers once and search them multiple times, or update only new headers. Is there a way I can do this with NewsLeecher?
To update only the newest headers since the last update:
Enable "Options|Download|Headers|Always get all headers". (Yes, this does mean always get all *new* headers). I hope Spiril will change the wording soon.
Also, make sure you have a reasonable number in Options|Download|Headers|Days to keep" and that "disable group header caching" is *NOT* activated. I like to use an amount slightly higher than the highest retention available on the servers that I use.

I'm not quite understanding what you mean by "search them multiple times". Once downloaded you can search through the active group as often as you like. Sorry, if I'm missing your point here.

--
Lips

Joez

Post by Joez »

Yeah I think that was it, it was set to download all of the headers. I turned that off, but still can't find where I'm supposed to go to update the headers. And is there a way I can view all of the headers at the same time, instead of having to use a search?

Destroyer

Post by Destroyer »

On the Active Group

Untick the "only new" box to make sure you are viewing everything, also make sure the text search and number search buttons are unpressed. the update button is a big button at the top next to the connect button and it should do what you want :)

Joez

Post by Joez »

Me1432 wrote:On the Active Group

Untick the "only new" box to make sure you are viewing everything, also make sure the text search and number search buttons are unpressed. the update button is a big button at the top next to the connect button and it should do what you want :)
Ahh much better, thanks :)

And thanks for clearing up the all headers Lips, I changed that back.